Lady Matilda, our queen and wife of William the Conqueror, has been able to do what our Anglo-Saxon queens of the past could not: create and maintain a reputation separate from her husband. Here are the five ways she does this (and they’re the same exact reasons why we LOVE her):
- She has AMAZING bloodlines! Matilda’s ancestry goes all the way back to Charlemagne, the King of the Franks who united the Germanic people of Western Europe into a great Christian kingdom. She is also the daughter of Count Baldwin V of Flanders and the niece of the King Henry I of France.
- She’s the mother of NINE children! Every wife should provide children for her husband and Matilda has PROVIDED! Our fave royal child is the youngest, Prince Henry. The other kids are Cecilia, Adeliza, William II, Matilda, Constance, Adela, Robert and Richard.
- She shares power with the king Lady Matilda hears court cases when the king is away and acts as a diplomat between England and Normandy.
- She knows English! Matilda’s mastery of the English language has won over our hearts. Opposite of the queen, the king sticks with his French.
- She’s a sweetheart Rumors say that King William would be a lot harsher with us if Matilda didn’t tell him otherwise. We English folks are blessed to have her!
Click here to learn about The Abbaye-aux-Dames, the women’s abbey Matilda founded and is buried in.